5 Reasons to try Mushrooms in 2020
Medicinal mushrooms have been used globally for thousands of years for their health benefits and can provide the missing link to support our health and well-being. If you haven’t found a reason to try mushrooms yet, then here are 5 reasons why we think you should in 2020…
- Immunity: All medicinal mushrooms contain immune supporting polysaccharides like beta-glucans. They are immune-modulators, so suppress or stimulate as needed. They support many key components of the immune system, from increasing protective immune cells, and supporting effective immune function. Many ‘shrooms also have strong antibacterial and anti-fungal compounds.
- Sports Performance: Medicinal mushrooms can help you to achieve your exercise and fitness goals for 2020. Mushrooms help to support your endurance and stamina and have an anti-fatigue effect. They can also support recovery, helping with quicker muscle recovery, immune modulation, and combating the negative effects of stress on the body.
- Beauty Benefits Medicinal mushrooms are rich in active compounds that have antioxidant, anti-ageing, skin-brightening, moisturising and anti-inflammatory effects, so cover much of the bases when it comes to beauty support. Mushrooms are rich in polysaccharides like beta-glucans which are renowned for their moisture-drawing benefits, offering natural hydration, supporting the skins protective barrier function and its ability to retain moisture.
- Brain Health Regular consumption of mushrooms has been shown to offer many benefits for brain health. Many ‘shrooms contain a compound called ‘ergothioneine’ which is a unique antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that may have a direct effect on the risk of cognitive decline. Other compounds found in Lion’s Mane mushroom including hericenones and erinacines also appear to contribute to the growth of brain cells and cognitive functioning.
- Gut Health: Consuming mushrooms regularly has been shown to be beneficial for gut health. A recent review found white button mushrooms helped to increase microbial diversity, and alter gut flora composition. Chaga powder and Maitake mushroom supplements have also been found to have gut health benefits, including alleviating GI disorders, supporting numbers of good bacteria and preventing viral infections and candida that contribute to digestive problems.
These are just 5 reasons to try mushrooms in 2020, but there are so many more! Check out our previous blog posts to learn more about each ‘shroom, or grab one of our books to discover more about the wonderful world of fungi…